Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Happy 1-Year Birthday, Gladys (my new kidney)

As so much has changed medically since my last post, and not for the good, I've decided to list them in bullets.

Eye: Due to radiation and aggravation of tumors and eye bleeding throughout, I'll have surgery at the end of April or beginning of May to hopefully return some shadows. I've not seen anything since the bleeding started. I've rarely seen a shadow since late October.

Back: As cane training had not resumed since winter, I decided to take myself through the neighborhood for walks. In November after walking into multiple vans and landscape trucks almost daily, I twisted my lower back. Went to the ER twice, first to rule out a kidney issue as it was on the same side as the transplant, then a second to rule out lumbar spine disc issues or problems. Physical therapy did not work. I went to a pain clinic in mid-January and had an epidural Lidocaine injection that worked like a charm for nine weeks, but the pain is now returning. Don't know if I can get another one so soon.

Bladder: I've had occasional bladder infections, which if not caught early, land me in the hospital with a high fever and need for IV antibiotics.

Gladys: My transplanted kidney is still functioning wonderfully. Since it has now been a year (Feb. 5), it's time to get my other (left) kidney out. Surgery date is March 27 and it will be removed as planned, laparoscopically. But wait, there's more...

Pelvis: I received a phone call mid January regarding the lumbar spine scan taken in November. Upon the VHL team reviewing all my scans, they incidentally noted an orange-size pelvic mass. Believe it or not, the ER had nothing of that in their report because they were only looking for a cause of the back pain. I guess it was a blessing they found it now as there is a chance it may be a cancerous lesion that might not have been noticed until next year's scan. I'd not felt anything there, having had a hysterectomy 2.5 years ago. So on March 27, immediately after the left kidney removal, a gyne-oncologist will remove the pelvic mass and my tubes and ovaries, also laparoscopically. The total surgery is blocked for 8.5 hours; I'm so lucky I'll be sleeping through their shift of work. Cross your fingers and say your prayers that the mass is benign. They say I have a 30% chance of it being malignant due to the fact that my kidney anti-rejection drugs, on top of having VHL, increase my risk. Which brings me to my next body part...

Skin: Since Jan. 13, I've had a total of 18 skin biopsies. I've had one three-inch incisional removal, eight Mohs removals, five ED&Cs, and maybe 40 pre-cancerous areas frozen. The doctors are very concerned as they've never seen skin cancer grow this quickly, but they believe it is a side effect from my first set of kidney anti-rejection drugs. From one appointment to the next, within several weeks, my skin changes. They continue to take photos and document the growth, and I'm scheduled to have a full body exam to catch not only the obvious, but areas I may be missing. After discussing this with my transplant team, they think the drug combination I'm on now is the best in terms of blocking out cancer, but I've only been on it for four months and hopefully this damage is coming from before then.

If that is not enough, my father-in-law passed away at the end of January. My son tore his ACL and meniscus and had surgery the first week of February. The day after Tyler's surgery I became septic and landed in the hospital for four days with a fever of 103. And then, losing my sweet angel Alyssa. I'm dedicating a separate post to her.

Life obviously hasn't been all negative because I have the greatest group of friends. I've been able to enjoy many different parties, the holidays, and my monthly book club keeps me busy. Having had a bad year on dialysis, the end of 2016 was just wonderful because I was really feeling better, and better able to enjoy more of seeing my family and extended relatives. This Christmas was a special one. I don't think there was a single thing my kids had a need or want for. I don't think I'd ever seen Alyssa so happy as she got an iPhone 7 and iPad mini and lots of clothes from her new favorite store Pink. I'm looking forward to Tyler graduating this May. The time went by so quickly. He should be graduating in the spring in marketing.

I was also able to get away and travel for a week in January. Sheila and Barry kidnapped me for another getaway, this time to South Beach. Wow, there sure is a lot of money there, as well as in Miami. We took a narrated boat tour to see how the rich and famous live, and every hotel we went inside was just incredible. Our hotel was in a great location along a canal with a balcony leading down to an almost private Jacuzzi. The beaches and boardwalks were lovely and we enjoyed just walking around the town. Pretty much we ate and drank the week away. It wasn't the best weather but I was with the best of friends. After what I've been living through lately, I think it's time to plan another trip.

No comments: