Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Stevo gets a job

We had a great start to the week. Steve landed the job and should be starting April 14. He'll be working for a semi-start-up company doing medical sales to surgeons. The best news is his territory is Illinois, Wisconsin and part of Indiana, and will require only overnight travel. The benefit package appears to be much better than the last company and the funding hopefully will be better as well. Hopefully this time the company will grow big and be bought by another company. Even though we have not received a paycheck yet, we just feel so blessed that he got his job. A big weight has been lifted.

I went for more physical therapy and the eye doctor recently. In addition to the good, I have been having some stomach issues and pain in my abdomen and just so happen to have a general surgeon on Tyler's travel soccer team. At our game Saturday, I had a physical consultation in the parking lot. I found I have two types of hernias. One is a ventral hernia up high that was repaired 16 years ago but came back, and the other is an umbilical hernia, so now my belly button is distended out like when I was pregnant. It causes digestive issues. I'll need outpatient surgery but it's a 3-4 week recovery. I plan to do that maybe mid-May.

Yesterday I went to the eye doctor, Dr. Cohen, to track the optic nerve size. He said the tumor has gotten significantly larger and a lot of swelling around it is affecting my vision. Unfortunately he has no answers. We put in several calls to other eye experts, one in Michigan and two in Philadelphia, and late this afternoon Dr. Cohen told me the two doctors in Philly recommended I be admitted to the hospital for extremely high dose steroids to bring the swelling down. When I asked why in the hospital, he said the high dose steroids will cause me to gain extra fluid weight as a side effect, which can affect my heart and kidneys and I need to be closely monitored. Afterward I'll continue steroids for about a month and hopefully it'll keep the swelling down enough that I don't lose more vision. He'll call my internist, Dr. Havey, to see if it is safe to do this and if we can get it done before there is more permanent damage. Meanwhile, we have not heard from the Michigan doctor yet. Looking online, there are not many patients with optic nerve tumors or doctors with experience in this area. I NEED A MIRACLE.

Whatever they do, they only have three weeks to figure it out. I have a give forward-style trip to take. I'm going to Atlanta to visit Sheila and her family and we'll play, have girl time and a little R&R. I am glad that I'm getting away.

I'm working on the projects that I want to get done before school is out. We got the carpet cleaned and next we're getting the house cleaned. Outdoor soccer is in full swing. We have three games on Saturday.

We had Easter with the family, which was fun. I think I drank too much but it was so nice to get out and it was really relaxing. The Easter Bunny came to our house so there were lots of candy, gum and treats. Steve even got me Trinidads.

Today I picked up my two new pairs of glasses. You have no idea what a difference. My prescription had changed so much and these glasses are so much better. I still want to look at lights for the house and I really want to organize my photos and closets so that I can enjoy the kids when they get out of school.

No comments: