Tuesday, April 20, 2010

I can('t) see clearly now...

Last Friday, I had the PDT procedure done by Dr. Cohen. I had a weekend planned to clean the basement and go see some movies because I couldn't be outside in the sunlight. Instead, I spent the weekend blind as a bat! My vision has gradually decreased over the past few days. On Monday, I went back to see Dr. Cohen. He said it appeared that I have a leakage of blood behind the eye that is blocking the light as well as the ability to see things (in addition to my already poor vision). He said that it should improve over the next week. However, I called him today to tell him that it is still getting worse. He was surprised to hear that my vision had worsened rather than improved. If things continue to worsen through Friday, he said he would do surgery to irrigate the blood out of the eye and laser the vessel closed. He would probably do this next Monday or Tuesday. He will be out of town for the next few days at some vision conferences and will be presenting my case at Wills Eye Center on the east coast. He expects there will be many oncologists there & wanted to present it so that hopefully someone may know of a systemic treatment they could do to stop the optic nerve tumor from leaking and growing.

On another note... after three years, I decided I should make a trip to the dentist. I was hoping that at least one part of my body was in good shape, by not so. I need two crowns, a root canal and gum surgery. Yippee! Lucky me...

Tomorrow, I go get my pick line out (Yippee for real!) and have an MRI of my pancreas and kidneys. I'll write more later this week once I discuss the findings with the doctor.

No comments: