Thursday, October 8, 2009

It's been a sad day....

I saw my local kidney surgeon this morning. He agrees with the recommendation of Dr. Jonasch at MD Anderson - that it is best to proceed with the brainstem surgery first, wait 3 months and then go on Sutent (the chemo drug) until I find a kidney transplant donor. After looking at my labwork, renal scan and function of my kidneys, there is no way to remove my left kidney & allow my right kidney to function alone. My right kidney is not functioning well enough to handle the job on its own. Therefore, a transplant or dialysis are the only options. We looked long and hard at the scans trying to find tissue he could save on the left kidney but we couldn't. The whole thing is covered with solid cystic lesions. The danger of not removing the left kidney soon is the possibility of metastasis (because these tumors are malignant). If the chemo does not work right away to shrink the tumors and cysts of the left kidney, then I would need to do dialysis until a kidney is available.

Regarding my brainstem surgery, I am trying to get the date moved up so that I will be home before Thanksgiving break. Also, it would allow me to address my kidney issue sooner. I'm starting to feel nervous about waiting too long.

I finally found out why my brother has not been improving this past week in ICU... He was found to have swelling of the brain and hydrocephalus Saturday afternoon so severe that it caused a stroke to the brainstem. They found this out accidentally while doing a pre-op MRI scan this morning in preparation for another shunt surgery. Basically, your brainstem controls your swallowing, movement & some of your speech - these are the areas that have been affected with him. He can't move his right side & his speech is soft and garbled. The doctor was very sorry to say that his condition may never improve and he will require lifetime rehabilitation.

Keep the prayers coming....
Kim

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We're storming the heavens for you, your brother, and the rest of your family. - the Tam's

Sheila said...

I've never known anyone as strong as you. You are my hero. Keep on fighting and we'll keep you and your brother in our prayers. Love to you and your wonderful hubby and kids. Sheila

Anonymous said...

Cindy has kept me up to date on you, Steve, and Jeff. All three of you and your families are in my prayers. You have so much to deal with right now; I don't even know what to say. My six month tests are scheduled here in a couple of weeks; I'm having some symptoms that could indicate a new brain stem tumor or a pheo. This disease is relentless. You're being lifted in prayer, dear one.
Tara Eyer