Wednesday, March 11, 2009

It is STILL all about ME!!! (e-mail from 3/6/09)

Hello to All From Bethesda (Yes, I am STILL HERE!!!!)

After a grueling week we have confirmed that I have some loose screws, oh you thought I was talking about my head . . . WRONG, they are in my foot! (oh, but I still have the hole in my head.)

Thursday was our big day to get out, we were hoping more than just out of the hospital, but a one hour doctor meeting turned into a day of tests and doctor visits which took eleven hours. The only thing left unchecked on my body are my teeth and tits. I was literally checked from head to toe and A LOT of places in between. The worst part was that they cancelled my MRI brain scans due to a probable loose screw in my recently repaired right foot. Due to medical/legal/security issues we had to put off the scans which I thought would mean an additional trip out east next week. We were able to escape the hotel after a fire drill from a guest cooking lemon chicken for dinner! We went and had a spectacular dinner at Mon Ami Gabi and did manage to enjoy ourselves for our big night out.

Today (which I still think is Friday) found us at Neurology for a neurosurgeon visit and neurology consult regarding the headaches. I received clearance as it appears my brain stem tumor and spinal cord remain stable. Still needed the additional MRIs to check rest of cerebelum and inner ear for possible tumor. After FEDEXing the foot scan the night before, we did receive the blessing from the foot doctor that MRIs are safe and will not effect the loose screws in my foot. We then were on our way to come home early when MRI decided that they would squeeze me in to avoid a further trip. That is good news, but the two scans left had to be at least six hours apart for some contrast to leave the inner ear. This brings me to the present time, as we write this waiting for the last MRI. The bad news is that the flights out of here are pretty scarce after 7:00. Our only option became a 10:15 flight back to the midwest.

Bottom line is that the clinical trial group is going to pow wow about the protocol for me to start the drug possibly next week. This assumes yesterdays bloodwork was normal and MRIs from today are good. If protocol allows, I may be able to avoid a trip out and start the drug at home.

Pray our flight is on time and smooth!

The Weary Travellers-

Kim and Nancy

No comments: